The best masters produce greatest students.
On this sun-drenched spring day, standing on the roof of this house, I behold the clouds of smoke reaching up to the sky from the beautiful chimneys that brought us prosperity a century ago. If you turn 180 degrees you will see the towers and the roof of De Grote Pyr, the former school building with its rich architecture. Both of whom were left to us by ing. Adam Schadee, student of Belhage.
One symbolizes the Industrial Revolution, which has shed the mantle of Renaissance-influenced architecture and returns to basics. Simple, sober and clean.
The other, with its high double windows, the symmetrically built facade view, makes the wealth of details but make a person whisper again “dream, dreams are allowed ..”
And we will try, here in Constant Rebecquestraat, to combine the best of both worlds.
The Energiekwartier stands for “Urban life, Urban, Conscious, Hip and Down to earth”.
And that is also our aim, we will create three apartments here, which bear the pride of its history, but have a good foundation for its future.
Modern kitchen, classic wooden floors, fully insulated and new window frames. Combined with modern equipment, we will try to rebuild energy neutral homes that will guarantee joy, comfort and living pleasure for decades to come.
The former main building of the Power Plant has a transitional architecture, reconstruction style, designed by the municipal architect A.A. Damage in 1904.
The style is that of the transitional architecture often used by Schadee. The castle-like character is mainly due to the elaborately finished facade with decorative masonry, battlements and arkeltoren. In the main entrance is a tile panel with the inscription Electricity Factory. The factory, which was realized in 1906, consisted of a five-axis office façade along De Constant Rebecqueplein (basement with three floors), flanked on either side by single-storey commercial buildings and two elongated factory halls situated behind this building. Two tall brick chimneys along the Verversingskanaal dominated the cityscape. First, a large transformer station was built on the site directly along De Constant Rebecquestraat in 1949 in the distinctive early reconstruction architecture. In the fifties (1954-1957), the large industrial halls were built, which now determine the factory front along the Verversingskanaal. The industrial complex is still partly used as a power plant and combined heat and power plant for the district heating network.
The power station is of architectural historical value as a unique example of utilitarian business architecture from various periods in The Hague. The original factory is one of the larger works of A.A. Schadee and is an important milestone in the architect’s oeuvre. The extensions from the forties and fifties of the last century in the typical austere reconstruction style have also been carefully designed, in particular the well-balanced details of the transformer station from 1949. The plant has high urban development value. The view on the square side is strongly determined by the oldest parts of the factory that have been preserved, while the extensions from 1954-1957 dominate the cityscape on the side of the Drain Canal. The power plant complex is one of the few complete factories in the city center and has high cultural-historical value due to the associated history of the electricity supplies within the municipality of The Hague.
The Constant Rebecquestraat is located in the Regentessekwartier, a residential area in The Hague, which was constructed in the former polder ‘t Kleine Veentje between 1885 and 1910. The name refers to Queen Regent Emma, the second wife of King William III (1848-1890), who acted as regent (acting head of state) for her underage daughter Wilhelmina, who was born in 1880, from 1890 to 1898.
The district is bordered by the Laan van Meerdervoort, the Beeklaan (until 1902 the city border with Loosduinen), the Loosduinseweg and the Koningin Emmakade. Neighboring neighborhoods are Zeeheldenkwartier, Valkenboskwartier and Duinoord.
The Regentessekwartier is one of the nineteen protected cityscapes of The Hague.
In the section between the Koningin Emmakade and the Verversingskanaal, the street names are taken from officers who fought the Belgian Revolt from 1830 to 1839. This part of the district was originally known as the Veldherenkwartier. This name is still used informally, but has no official status. In the rest of the district, inventors have borrowed their name from the streets.
The Place Royale is named after King William III. At the end of the nineteenth century a King’s Square was created in more cities, also as an expression of national feeling. The buildings on the Koningsplein in The Hague perfectly reflect the mentality of this city: a touch of grandeur, but otherwise modest civilian style.
After about six years, as witnessed by a plaque in the Van Swietenstraat from 1892, the neighborhood around the Koningsplein, between the Koningin Emmakade and the Verversingskanaal, was almost completely built up. In the following ten years, the houses had advanced to the Regentesselaan and along the entire Weimarstraat to the Beeklaan. By 1910 the entire district was built up. The area between the Verversingskanaal and Marnixstraat was the last area to be built on. In 1904 the horticultural businesses disappeared to make way for the power plant and the buildings around De Constant Rebecquestraat.
Do you always come across the wrong home? We can help you!