The best masters produce greatest pupils.
On this sun-drenched spring day, standing on the roof of this house, I see before me the clouds of smoke reaching up to the sky from the beautiful chimneys that brought our prosperity a century ago. If you turn 180 degrees you will see the towers and roof of De Grote Pyr, the former school building with its rich architecture. Both of which were left to us by ing. Adam Schadee, a student of Belhage.
One is a symbol of the Industrial Revolution, which has thrown off the mantle of Renaissance-influenced architecture and returns to basics. Simple, sober and clean.
The other, with its high double windows, the symmetrically built facade view, makes a person whisper “dream, dream is allowed ..”
And we will try to combine the best of these two worlds here in Constant Rebecquestraat.
The Energiekwartier stands for “Urban life, City, Conscious, Hip and Down to earth”.
And that is also our aim, we will create three apartments here, which bear the pride of its history, but have a good foundation for its future.
Modern kitchen, classic wooden floors, fully insulated and new window frames. Combined with modern equipment, we will try to renovate energy neutral homes that will guarantee joy, comfort and living pleasure for decades to come.
The former main building of the Power Plant has a transitional architecture, reconstruction style, which was designed by the municipal architect A.A. Schadee in 1904.
The style is that of the transitional architecture much used by Schadee. The castle-like character is mainly obtained by the richly elaborated façade ending with ornamental masonry, battlements and arkel turrets. The main entrance includes a tile table with the inscription Electricity Factory. The factory, completed in 1906, consisted of a five-axis wide office facade along De Constant Rebecqueplein (basement with three storeys on top) flanked on either side by single-storey industrial buildings and two elongated factory halls situated behind these buildings. Two tall brick chimneys along the Verversingskanaal were dominant in the townscape. First, a large transformer station was built on the site directly along De Constant Rebecquestraat in 1949 in the characteristic early reconstruction architecture. In the 1950s (1954-1957) the large industrial halls were realized that now define the factory front along the Verversingskanaal. Part of the industrial complex is still in use as a power plant and combined heat and power plant for the district heating network.
The power plant is of architectural-historical value as a unique example of utilitarian business architecture from various periods in The Hague. The original factory is one of the larger works of A.A. Schadee and is an important milestone in the architect’s oeuvre. The expansions from the forties and fifties of the last century in the typical sober reconstruction style have also been carefully designed, with the well-considered details of the 1949 transformer station being particularly striking. The power station has a high urban development value. The appearance on the square side is strongly determined by the oldest parts of the factory that have been preserved, while the extensions from 1954-1957 dominate the cityscape on the Afvoerkanaal side. The complex of the power plant is one of the few still complete factories in the city center and has high cultural-historical value because of the associated history of the electricity facilities within the municipality of The Hague.
The Constant Rebecquestraat is located in the Regentessekwartier, a residential area in The Hague, which was built between 1885 and 1910 in the former polder ‘t Kleine Veentje. The name refers to Queen Regent Emma,
The district is bordered by the Laan van Meerdervoort, the Beeklaan (until 1902 the city border with Loosduinen), the Loosduinseweg and the Koningin Emmakade. Adjacent districts are Zeeheldenkwartier, Valkenboskwartier and Duinoord.
The Regentessekwartier is one of the nineteen protected cityscapes of The Hague.
In the section between the Koningin Emmakade and the Verversingskanaal, the street names are taken from officers who fought the Belgian Revolt from 1830 to 1839. This part of the district was originally known as the Veldherenkwartier. This name is still used informally, but has no official status. In the rest of the district it is inventors who have lent their name to the streets.
Koningsplein is named after King Willem III. At the end of the nineteenth century, a Place Royale was created in more cities, also as an expression of national feeling. The buildings on Koningsplein in The Hague perfectly reflect the mentality of this city: a touch of grandeur, but otherwise modest bourgeois domination.
After about six years, as evidenced by a gable stone in the Van Swietenstraat from 1892, the area around the Koningsplein, between the Koningin Emmakade and the Verversingskanaal, was almost completely built up. In the next ten years, the houses had advanced over the Regentesselaan and along the entire Weimarstraat to the Beeklaan. By 1910 the entire district was built up. The area between the Verversingskanaal and the Marnixstraat was the last area to be built on. In 1904, the horticultural businesses there disappeared to make way for the power station and the buildings around De Constant Rebecquestraat.
Do you always come across the wrong home? We can help you!